Tuesday, November 8, 2016

November 8th

I voted.
I voted because women fought for me right to vote.
I voted for the people I thought would be represent me.
I clearly live in the wrong state.
Remember this flag when women decide not to vote.
I know it is a choice, but that choice was very hard fought for.

The National Women's Party held a non-violent, silent protest in front of the White House.
They were treated poorly, called unpatriotic and spit upon and assaulted while police officers stood by and watched. The women were arrested for "obstructing traffic"

When the demonstrations started in other cities, the same things happened.  They were arrested for not breaking the law.  They went to prison for refusing to pay the fine under the principal that they did not break any laws.

On March 4, 1918 A US Federal Appeals court declared unconstitutional the detainment of all White House suffrage pickets. No one was prosecuted or even in trouble for their unlawful arrests and imprisonment. And arrests would still go on elsewhere.
In the end, they won. President Wilson changed his position to support women's suffrage. In 1920, the 19th Amendment was passed, allowing women to vote.
Here's my friend, Black Mamba, she plays roller derbs with me and she has the most awesome shirt.




We had the derbs Tuesday evening with the newbies.
They were practicing and reviewing their skills to rock it out next week during testing.
I did blocking and mostly it was the guys that wanted to practice.



No comments:

Post a Comment