I haven't done a This or That ever on this blog, so play along with me! You can post on your own blog and link up over at Mama Kat's or post in the comments. I'm game for both. Plus, a little fun post every once in a while is okay.
Halloween This Or That Tag Questions:
1. Chocolate candy or fruity? -- Chocolate makes the world go round.
2. Witches or Vampires? -- I have no explanation.
3. Trick or Treat? -- Who doesn't love a treat?!?
4. Halloween Party or Scary Movie? -- popcorn, twizzlers and a scary movie!
5. Skeletons or Zombies? -- I'm picking skeletons because I think Zombies will get all the attention.
6. Trick-or-Treat or Hand Out Candy? - I would say neither, but that's not the game.
7. Hay Ride or Corn Maze? -- BOTH! I can't pick just one because I LOVE both!
8. Scary Costume or Funny Costume? -- I guess? I don't care much about costumes.
9. Pumpkin Seeds or Pumpkin Pie? -- I have the best recipe. Will share later.
10. Bottle Feed A Baby Zombie or Walk Alone Through A Dark Forest? -- because I've done this before.
11. Bats or Black Cats? -- Another one that I love both on! Bats are the bomb and Black cats are the best!
12. Pumpkin Spice or hot Chocolate?
13. Celebrate in your neighborhood or at the mall? -- Neither. I like to do my own thing! I didn't even know celebrating at the mall was a thing?
What are your picks?!
Thursday, October 19, 2017
Friday, October 13, 2017
Guys! I didn’t even realize it was Friday the 13th until my daughter mentioned it. She said she had some funky dreams and I can relate because I had a funky one too.
I was at work. Isn’t that where all bad dreams start? I was in our back office and hordes of people all of sudden flooded it. Like people coming in and being incredibly loud and messing up the office. If you know me, I keep it nice, neat and orderly to the best of my ability. I went up to the front office after I got people cleared out. They just disappeared. In the front office, there were firefighters with yellow balloons and bags on popcorn on the table. The lobby was filled with clients. All of a sudden the electricity went out in a wave and it felt like the ground shifted and there was water under our feet. I fell into one of the counters but everyone else acted like nothing happened. The wave of water happened again and this time, the floor started tilted and collapsed. Kinda like a boat capsizing. Then, we were all outside. No one was hurt. There were children outside, playing in a sandbox, acting oblivious to a building collapsing right next to them. The last thing I heard someone say before I woke up was “Look at Jillian, playing all by herself again” Who the heck is Jillian? It was vivid and I don’t have many of those. It was right before I woke up and I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. Dream experts, weigh in….
What makes Friday the 13th so unlucky? Some believe the origins to go all the way back to Friday, October 13th, 1307. King Philip IV of France detained hundreds of Knight Templars accusing them of various things. Many of them were executed. Pretty much the King wanted their financial riches. Money is the root of all things evil, right? The origins are still pretty sketch though, because Templar history is hidden well. Secret society and all.
I am superstitious over a few things and Friday the 13th is not one of them. I also love black cats. I think everyone should adopt them!
How’s your Friday going for you?
Also, throwing some pictures in from four years ago when my children became the Children of the Corn. I'm glad they played along with that.
Thursday, October 12, 2017
2. Common Sense Instructor -- I made this up, but I think common sense would do a lot of good for some people. Seeing so many people in one day with no common sense makes me want to teach common sense. Where the hell has it gone?
3. Party Planner -- this would be so much fun! I will make your party simply delightful and pretty much perfect. Give me a theme and you can count on it being fantastic.
4. Teaching camping classes to Girl Scout leaders. Like real camping classes, not the crap that council puts on. This would focus on packing minimally and reducing your foot print. It would also include campfire cooking. Oh and how to start a fire. No Doritos allowed in my class!
5. Book Reviewer -- some who gets ARCs and writes those little blurbs about how smashingly wonderful they are.
6. Professional Blogger -- that actually makes money. Not like fifty cents a year.
7. Developing Procedures for the Resource Centers at Family Support -- because some of them are ridiculous and make no sense. Also, they are developed by persons that do not see the day to day operation.
8. Working at a fully funded pet rescue -- because meows. And no, I am not a crazy cat lady. There can be dogs and guinea pigs and the occasional bunny there also.
9. Running a Resident Camp -- because outdoor skills are lacking in today's youth.
10. I can't think of a 10th. :)
Wanna link up? Check out Part-Time Working Hockey Mom's Blog for more details. Next week is a fun one!
I won an award once. In eighth grade.
I got an invite for the awards ceremony.
I said to one of my teachers, “Who in the world would give me an award?”
She shrugged her shoulders.
The awards ceremony was a week away.
My family was so excited. I was so excited.
I won two awards!
One for science and one for PE!
Who wins an award for PE class! Me! I did!
For my positive attitude and not being afraid to try things.
The teacher that I had asked the question to; she had given me the award.
I will always remember that conversation, because I didn’t think I deserved one award.
Alli competed in her first debate tournament on Tuesday and won a speaker award!
Proud parent here!
I totally woke her up from her nap to take the picture.
Wednesday, October 11, 2017
I joined KCRW mid season last year. I was feeling stuck in a rut in my derby life and needed to see improvement. KCRW did that for me.
This past weekend, the league had the award dinner for the year.
It was held at Memorial Hall, where our bouts take place, but it was up in the ballroom.
I had no idea there was even a fancy pants ballroom in the joint.
There was a black "carpet" and balloons leading the way to the ballroom.
The theme was a Masquerade Ball.
They did an amazing job with the décor and made it feel like a real
award banquet and that it was something special.
I love this ballroom.
All of us received dinner and two drink tickets.
Margaritas are the best.
I don't drink much but when I do I enjoy tequila.
Dinner was a spicy chicken alfredo and it was the bomb.
The catering company we used is the one we use during games.
So if you want their yummy food during the game, I recommend the BBQ Nachos.
Someone had a little too much fun :)
My mask. I'm sad it doesn't show all the feathers and such in the picture.
I didn't win anything. I never have for derby. Not even an MVP.
I'm one of those that are not noticed but I do a lot of work for my team.
Anyway, it was a fun night and I appreciate all the work that people put into it.
It was nice to see all my friends dressed up and not in helmets.
Tuesday, October 10, 2017
Shelby* is our temp worker in the office. She helps out in the back part of our office. She scans documents over to the file share and tracks our mail for us.
She likes to tell me I am mean on a regular basis. She once told me if she was one of the clients she would have punched me in the face. She is also confused by me because according to her I sound mean but I do it with a smile.
Last Friday, it got to me. Am I mean? Like is that a for real thing? I feel like I go out of my way to be nice, sometimes not even expressing me own opinions on issues because I don’t want to come across as mean and hurt anyone’s feelings. I wanted to start crying. She was making me feel uncomfortable at my work place. I am good at my job. I am efficient and get stuff done.
I expect people to take personal responsibility for their children and self. If you are writing on one of our clipboards, I will call you out on it. If you child is tearing up our office, I will ask them to stop. I realize I work in a welfare office, but that does not give anyone the right to deface and destroy government property. And who has to clean up after people? It is us.
I give clear and concise directions on what needs to happen to get their cases completed. I do not sugar coat things. We do not have enough time for sugar coating information here. Either you do it correct the first time or you are in the office whining that the state “cut you off”. 95% of the time, it is the clients fault. That is why I try to be clear and concise so they know exactly what they need to turn in and what processes they need to do.
In real life, I am nice. That’s what people tell me and my friends gave me lots of plausible explanations as to why she would say that about me. Thanks friends, I appreciate your faces.
Monday, October 9, 2017
One Sunday morning, I woke up and decided to tell about my day in pictures. It was the first day of October. The temperature was grand and I decided this will probably be one of the last couple of days that sandals are acceptable.
I went to the City Market. I wanted Beignet. It's yummy and delicious and that was what my heart was set on. It took longer than I thought to get a parking space. I found a free one and headed into the market, straight for Beignet.
Beignets with sea salt caramel cream cheese dipping sauce.
I had the majority of it left over.
I took the street car to Union Station from the City Market. It was windy out.
I was there for the Educator Stem Fest.
I arrived early. Left with a bag full of stuff.
My favorite are the bison and bees posters I picked up from the MO Dept of Conservation.
Bison and Bees are my favorite.
I left Union Station. Hopped on the Street Car. Took a short walk around the City Market again.
When I arrived back home, I watched the episode of Hell's Kitchen I had recorded, made my shopping list, headed to the hell store to do said shopping.
I still have a couple of roses left.
The kids came back home. Chili for dinner.
Looked at travel brochures for ideas on the next vacation.
I put laundry away and the cat decided she needed to frighten me.
I didn't see her there.