Thursday, May 11, 2017

writers workshop: homecooked for the win

I'm not going to lie.  I have a lot of homemade comfort foods. 


One of my go-to favorites is Spaghetti.


I have to use a certain kind of spaghetti sauce: Cascones.  It has the perfect blend of spices and sauciness for me.  I'm a garlic person and this sauce has the perfect garlic amount.


To make the meat sauce, I use both Italian sausage and ground beef.  I put in equal parts of both and brown it all together.  Again, gets the right blend of things...this time meats.


I use angel hair pasta, just because I like it.


After it's all done, I use the Kraft Italian Blend Cheese to top it off. 


We usually have a small Caesar salad and garlic bread with it.
My cheap go to favorite is:  Polish Kielbasa and Macaroni and Cheese.  This meal cost under $10 and feeds everyone.  Target had Mac and Cheese on sale for 66 cents and the Polish Kielbasa for $3.47, so technically it was an under $5.00 meal this week.  I do add some extra cheese to the Mac and Cheese to make it extra creamy, but I almost always have cheese on hand.  This week, I used the Italian Blend.  It was the right choice.
Pizza is always a comfort food.  Especially homemade pizza.  I cannot wait to cook it over a campfire on vacation. 

My last favorite comfort food would be my enchiladas.  Everyone has their own way of making them.  Myself included.  I like both the white sauce and the red sauce and I totally combine them to make a super enchilada that the kids love and I love.  Here's my recipe if you want to be brave and makes some:

First off, you have to use chicken with the white sauce.  Beef or pork is just too weird with it.
I cook my chicken first.  I usually boil it in a medium pan of water.  Just enough water to get the chicken tender and white.  I take the chicken out and shred it.  I empty a majority of the water out, only leaving about half a cup.  Sometime I add a chicken bouillon cube.  I add one package of cream cheese and add the chicken back in.  I put in a handful of Mexican blend cheese, a few spoonfuls of sour cream and mix all the gloriousness together.  This is what I put inside the tortilla.  Once I get those all in the pan, I pour a can of the red enchilada sauce on top and cover it with more cheese.  I bake it until it's beautiful and golden.  I usually serve this with some chips and sauce.  We sometimes make an avocado dip.


What are you favorite comfort foods?





Linking up with Mama Kat's Writers Workshop.  You should go take a look.
Mama’s Losin’ It

10 comments:

  1. Mmmm, these all sound so good. I'm going for the enchiladas! You're family is lucky. I don't usually put much care into my cooking :-\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The enchiladas are my favorite. I'm a dork and couldn't decide which sauce I liked better, so I just combined them.

      Delete
  2. Well now I'm hungry! I've never made enchiladas with cream cheese mixed in - I'm going to try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spaghetti with ground beef *and* Italian sausage? Polish sausage and mac & Cheese? I'm coming to your house. Seriously, that's the way Mary and I eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the combination of the two meats. WE always have extra food, so anyone is welcome!

      Delete
  4. The enchiladas are exactly what my Sweetie would love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a garlic lover too.It adds so much to a meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to come to your house for dinner EVERY night.

    ReplyDelete