Thursday, April 27, 2017

X is for Xenagogy

There are around 400 words that start with X.  That does not include proper nouns.  I'm sure there are lots of made up X names out there.  I've seen a lot of them and trust me, those parents get pissed if you pronounce it wrong.  Stop flipping making up names and maybe I'll be able to pronounce them.  The "ghetto name" is a thing.  It's real.


Anyway.


I found the word Xenagogy.  It means a guidebook for tourist or visitors.  It's a very rare word.  Barely used in today's vernacular. 


You know I have perused many of online guidebooks.  I even looked at numerous book stores for good guidebooks to places.  I wanted some off the beaten path, maps and stuff like that.  They are hard to find, if one even exists.  I like to read about things and have as much knowledge as possible.


Maybe, I can write one.  Hahaha!  I'm not an xcellent writer.  I do it for fun.  I like to have my thoughts on paper...okay...written somewhere where I can go back and look from time to time.  I can at least write my tips and tricks and things I learned a long the way.  Right?


Xcellent X-Words is where I found my word at.  So if you need help with coming up with a word, check there.   There are so xtraordinary choices on there.   


Only two days left....I am feeling sad that this is coming to an end.  I have enjoyed all the comments and finding others blogs to read.    If you want to stick around after this all ends, I'm okay with that too. 

14 comments:

  1. I had not come across xenagogy before (and neither had spell check :) ) but sort of guessed because of xenophobia which googling tells me both derive from Greek xenos, ie From Ancient Greek ξένος (xénos, “foreign”) + ἀγωγός (agōgós, “guide”)., So think of pedagogy. I enjoyed learning something new, thank you.

    Visiting from A to Z
    X is for destruction of a piratical fleet in Xiānggǎng (Hong Kong)
    ----------

    Anne Young

    Anne's family history

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. having read with great enjoyment of your plans, I think you should definitely write a xenagogy on your return sharing what you found :)
      Regards
      Anne
      Ballarat, Australia

      Delete
    2. Thank you for stopping by Anne!

      I love your genealogy blog! It's so fun to learn about our past and how it shapes the present.

      Delete
  2. Promise me you didn't invent xenagogy! Actually it's lovely word to say if I'm saying it right. I too am sorry it's ending, but I have decided to feature Amble Bay in many of my stories in the future. I wonder what you'll make of Z!

    Meet Amble Bay's Mark Xavier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise it's a real word! I'm glad we will get to see Amble Bay in the future. :)

      Delete
  3. Xeno, from what i understand, is the root that means relating to foreign or foreigners. You found an excellent X word that should be used more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? One dictionary lists it as obsolete. That needs to change.

      Delete
  4. Hello. First time visiting and I like it. Who knew there was a word, an x- word for travel leaflets and books describing places. I wonder if I could drop it in a sentence sometime. Like, "Oh look at the picture of the church in my Xenagogy of Italy." My Virtual Vineyard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! It's a fun word. It would be a good one to add to a vocabulary list.

      Delete
  5. That's a great word! I've never heard it before and learned something new today by reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. have not heard of xenagogy, but if you take away 'gogy', there is 'xena' which you might know is a name and a tv show - xena - the warrior princess. she was mentioned in a post I just read, just a thought

    have a lovely day.

    ~ my X post -questions for you ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. New word to me, too! I've enjoyed making my blog rounds and am glad I found yours.

    DB McNicol | Oh, the places we will go! | Xtraordinary, Xtreme, Xciting, Xhausting | 9-11 10th Anniversary Memorial Ride

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this word and I'm sure you could get it back into more common usage "The Rough Xenagogy" sounds good doesn't it??? Glad I visited you before it all ends :)
    http://pempispalace.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/x-is-for-xerxes-xenophobe.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great use of the x words! Love it.

    J -- Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, Debut Author Interviewer, Reference and Speculative Fiction Writer
    http://jlennidornerblog.what-are-they.com

    ReplyDelete