Saturday, June 17, 2017

yellowstone: Old Faithful

You hear a lot of criticisms about Old Faithful on TripAdvisor and other travel sites.  It's too crowded, it's like a mall, it's hard to see with so many people around.  We were in Yellowstone from May 30th to June 2nd.  That is super early in the season.  A lot of trails and still closed and snow packed.  It's was super cold at night, but bearable if you are prepared.  It was a perfect time to go.  The mobs of people haven't rolled in yet.  There is still a crowd at times, but not like what people were explaining.  We didn't get stuck for hours in long lines of cars.  We were able to travel through the park with an occasional bear jam or bison jam. 

We visited Old Faithful the first night we were there.  It was raining slightly and we caught the sunset perfectly.   My son has some awesome shots on his camera.  That night, we took the short circle around the geysers just north of Old Faithful.  We didn't see it erupt that night.

We came back to Old Faithful on our last night there.  We were able to walk all the way to the Morning Glory Pool and back.  We were able to see the Grand Geyser erupt, forever.  That thing is amazing.  We also got to see Old Faithful.  We got a front row view for that.   It was not crowded.  The benches were full, people were awwwwing.  It was nice.  Everyone was quiet and taking in the moment.  Old Faithful is still beautiful and magnificent.  The eruptions are never the same.  Some tall and some not so tall.   You see all the birds go crazy right before it happens.  The bison just chill right next to it because it's no big deal.

I dislike that you can't see my live photos on here.  I call them my Harry Potter pictures because when I first discovered that my pictures did that, it reminded me of the Harry Potter pictures in the movie.  It just makes the pictures so magical.

I did get a short video of it though, I had to stop it when the people around me were talking to much. :)



Have you ever been to Old Faithful?

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I'm glad you got to see Old Faithful and avoid the "bad" parts of visiting Yellowstone. It really is a special place with the geysers and hot springs, but the tourists...

    ReplyDelete