Thursday, June 16, 2016

Survey results


I had posted a survey a little while ago about genetic traits.  A few asked for the results.  Seventy-nine people took the survey.  This was great.  Thank you to everyone that did.

Here are the National Averages alongside the results of my survey.

National Averages
My results
TRAIT
FREQUENCY
TRAIT
FREQUENCY
Ability to roll tongue
70%
Ability to roll tongue
77%
Unattached earlobes
72%
Unattached earlobes
52%
Right handed
90%
Right handed
90%
Place left thumb on top with hands clasped
55%
Place left thumb on top with hands clasped
57%
Presence of Hitchhiker’s Thumb
25%
Presence of Hitchhiker’s Thumb
39%
Freckles
38%
Freckles
59%

 

Some are pretty close to the National Averages, but others are way off. 

I did a lab in addition to this that had to do with Phenotype and Genotypes. 

Having dimples is a dominant trait.  I have the recessive gene in that one.  I do not have dimples. 

The unattached earlobes are the dominant trait.  From my survey above, more people have the recessive trait.  I have the dominant trait. 

I was not able to survey this one; it was the ability to taste PTC.  Guys, PTC tastes nasty.  I can taste it and so can my daughter.  Be lucky if you have the recessive on that one. 

I have green eyes.  Green and blue eyes are recessive.  Brown eye color is dominant. 

I have immunity to poison ivy.  Dominant trait.   My straight hair though, totally recessive. 

I am right handed.  My daughter and youngest son are right handed.  My oldest son is left handed.  Both of my parents are right handed.  Both of my maternal grandparents are left handed.  

Human genetics fascinates me.  I want to know more.  I am surprised at some of the things that are considered dominant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment